Wal-Mart $4 Drug Plan Falls Short

It was very exciting news to hear that Wal-Mart decided to roll out a $4 generic drug plan. That should have been great news for many Americans who pay a premium for prescription drugs, especially for those individuals without health insurance or adequate coverage.

I decided to test out Wal-Mart’s new program after receiving a prescription from my doctor for a very common antibiotic. The antibiotic is called Augmentin. This is a very common drug which is used to treat infections such as sinus, etc. I figured surely this must be on the $4 generic drug list at Wal-Mart. I called the brand spanking new Wal-Mart near my home and asked the pharmacist if I could pick this up for $4 dollars. She checked the list and sure enough they did not offer that medication in the required dosage at $4.

Was this a surprise to me? No. So I asked the pharmacist about another prescription. Again, the answer was no. I have heard this same story from many people who also tried to fill the elusive $4 generic prescriptions at Wal-Mart with the same dismal results. “Sorry, it’s not on the list,” stated the pharmacy technician. Of course it’s not going to be on the list, Wal-Mart’s plan only covers 314 different prescriptions which is made up of only 143 drugs.

The whole $4 generic drug plan appears to be nothing more than a fantastic marketing gimmick by marketing executives at Wal-Mart which was used in an effort to lure elderly customers back away from Walgreens. Wal-Mart appears to be deceiving the American public by not disclosing the full details of their $4 generic drug plan. Their only intention is apparently to get you in the door, up sell you to the regular prescription price and have you shop throughout the store.

I would be amazed if any of my readers actually had a story about how they received a prescription from their doctor, went into a Wal-Mart and paid $4 for their prescription. If any of you have I would love to hear about. As of right now, I consider Wal-Mart’s $4 drug plan to be nothing more than a deceptive marketing tactic.

By the way, I went to Walgreens for my prescription.
(c) 2006 ElectroGeek, Inc.

Mesothelioma

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Wal-Mart $4 Drug Plan Falls Short

1. For people who are interested to know more about walmart generic prescription medicines,I like to point out one press release which came in september with many detailed facts about this plan

2. Wulybugr says:

I got the list of $4 drugs from Wal-Mart. Talked to the pharmacist and he assured me if the drug and dosage was on the list, I could get a 30 supply even if the doctor prescribed 2 pills/day(like one in am, one in Pm. Mt Dr. Phoned the prescriprtions to wal-mart. I went to pick up. They wanted to charge me 2x $4 if the prescription called for 2 pills per day. I only had one prescription that called for one pill per day. They did sell me 30 pills for $4. I declined to buy the other ones. The druggist who told me originally is on vacation. Back in couple days. I intend to file complaint with our States
    Attorney General, as they have oit writing on the drug list “30 day supply”.
    Wal Mart is bad- I actually hate them. Every time I go there they do thongs to screw the public.

3. ElectroGeek says:

Just as I thought Wulybugr, there are others out there who have experienced the deceptive Wal-Mart practices first hand. It appears to be a form of the old bait and switch tactic. They hype the $4 generic drugs to get you in the store and then they don’t deliver. Nice. False advertising, big time.

4. Wulybugr says:

I went to another Wal-Mart. The deal is to get older seniors in the store, get the predspiption, tell the customer to shop a while then come back. They delay the customer, them when the script is finally ready,
    many of the elderly simply pay the extra cause they are tired and do not want to be embarassed etc etc.

Also note the Wal-Mart Hype on using “Christmas” this year instead of ” Holiday” The corporate in small print also says the store manager has an option to use “Holiday” if they prefer. Wond actually how many “Christmas signs we will actually see. I refuse to buy anything for Christmas at wal-Mart.
    Note they are already discounting heavy as their sales are down.
    DOWN WITH WALMART!!!

5. ElectroGeek says:

I hear ya. That’s pretty much what I said in my original post. It’s unfortunate that Wal-Mart is using a gimmick like this to lure customers, especially elderly and sick into the store by using these kind of tactics. Walmart has other issues such as the fact that the majority of their items sold are imported from over seas, mainly China. It is also a fact that Walmart has some of the lowest prices on the consumer goods in the nation. That means that most consumers won’t be protesting Walmart any time soon. They can’t afford to.

6. The information on the drugs and dosages is readily available. Click my link for the most up-to-date information on the states and drugs offered.

As far as “false advertising” is concerned, this is nothing of the sort. You get a thirty-day supply of the drug in the indicated dose, not a sixty day supply of the drug in half the dose. So, if you are supposed to take two 50-mg doses of Drug X (100 mg) per day, you will need to get a prescription for the 100 mg pill and split it because a 30-day supply of 50 mg pills is 30 pills. Understand?

Why is it never enough for Wal-Mart critics? If this helps one person, isn’t it a good thing? In fact, this helps shoppers everywhere in the 38 states in which it is now offered, even if they don’t shop at Wal-Mart. The company’s market power is at work, leading many of its competitors to match its pricing or come up with a similar program.

7. john says:

Walgreens is interesting to me. Every time someone begins to announce its death it just keeps putting one foot in front of the other. Wal-Mart’s attempt at baiting the older and wiser company into a price war did not work whatsoever. If Wal-Mart ever intended on “crushing” Walgreens, perhaps they should think customer service instead of price. Wal-Mart’s pricing hasn’t even made a dent in Walgreens’ 30 year sales climb. Walgreens’ same store increases continue to rise at an astounding rate and they continue to open more than a store a day. It’s nice to see a company stand up against the giant and announce their right to do business as well. Right on Walgreens.

8. Pingback: eDrugSearch Blog » Blog Archive » Wal-Mart’s $4 generics: A great deal — for Wal-Mart

9. chris says:

Well I have not had any problems out of the $4 plan at Wal-Mart. I wish more things were on it but I wish more things were on sale at other stores but I will take a few things on sale over nothing. The medicine has to be on the list for you to get it for $4 though. They cannot just sale everything for $4. If you go to Circuit City looking for the cheapese computer in there ad, 99.99% of the time they are out and try to sell you a computer that costs twice as much. I think that is kind of the same thing. My wife gets some medicine on the list as does my mother. For me I do not take any medicine but if I ever get sick and go ot the doctor I am printing off the list and asking for antibiotics on the list. I do not know why people hate on Wal-Mart so much. If any other of there precious companies had the business Wal-Mart did they would all act the same way.

10. retired person says:

wife and i have used walmart pharm $4 generics for ~ 2 yrs. vrery pleased. u must do your homework first. as noted not all drugs covered and the 90 day rate is fabulous

11. I HAPPEN TO WORK AT A WAL-MART PHARMACY AND TRUST ME, A LOT OF PEOPLE SAVE A LOT OF MONEY ON THESE $4 PRESCRIPTIONS, IF YOU WANT A LIST OF THEM, GO TO ANY WAL-MART PHARMACY, OR WALMART.COM/PHARMACY. I WAS JUST ON THE SITE TO SEE IF MY DAUGHTER’S PRESCRIPTION WAS ON THE LIST. ITS NOT, BUT I ALSO KNOW THAT THE PHARMACY WILL DO WHATEVER THEY CAN TO HELP ME, INCLUDING TRYING MULTIPLE DISCOUNT PRESCRIPTION CARDS TO SEE WHICH ONE WILL GIVE ME THE BEST DEAL, BECAUSE THAT IS HOW WE DO THINGS, EVEN IF I WERENT AN EMPLOYEE THERE, I HAVE GIVEN OUT SO MANY DISCOUNT PRESCRIPTION CARDS TO PEOPLE THAT DONT HAVE INSURANCE, OR WHO’S INSURANCE WONT COVER THAT ONE PRESCRIPTION THAT COSTS $100, THAT THEY NEED IN ORDER TO SURVIVE, AND THE REASON THAT THIS PERSON’S INSURANCE WONT COVER IT IS BECAUSE THEY ARE TRYING TO PUSH THEM TO USE MAIL ORDER PRESCRIPTIONS WHICH ACTUALLY DO COME FROM OTHER COUNTRIES, UNLIKE THE WAL-MART PRESCRIPTIONS. TODAY ALONE, I HELPED A GENTLEMAN SAVE OVER $60 ON HIS PRESCRIPTIONS AND THE ORIGINAL COST FOR ALL OF THEM WERE $93. HE WAS SO THANKFUL, HE STARTED TO CRY. NOW YOU TELL ME HOW WAL-MART IS THE ROOT TO ALL EVIL. STOP BLAMING WAL-MART FOR THIS SCREWED UP CONTINENT, BLAME GEORGE BUSH, HE’S THE ONE THAT BROUGHT IT TO RUINS. IF IT WERENT FOR HIS ATTACKS AGAINST THE ECONOMY, THERE WOULDNT BE THAT MANY PEOPLE OUT THERE WITHOUT JOBS, PEOPLE WHO CANT AFFORD THEIR PRESCRIPTIONS, PEOPLE WHO BY GETTING LAID OFF, ALSO LOSE THEIR INSURANCE, HECK, BLAME THE INSURANCE COMPANIES, WHO DECIDE TO TAKE 90% OFF OF THE COST OF THE PATIENTS OXYCODONES, BUT NOT PAY A DIME ON THEIR INSULIN. THAT IS WHO YOU NEED TO BLAME, DONT BLAME WALMART FOR TRYING TO HELP PEOPLE THROUGH THIS TROUBLING TIME, AT LEAST WE ARE TRYING TO HELP, I DONT SEE ANY OTHER COMPANIES STANDING UP TO THE BAT. AND MAYBE IF THE ECONOMY WASNT SO BAD THE WAL-MART PHARMACY (WHICH BY THE WAY ITS EMPLOYEES ARE NOT PAID FOR BY WAL-MART) WOULD BE ABLE TO AFFORD TO PUT MORE MEDICINES ON THAT $4 LIST OF OURS.

12. thesoccerchick87 says:

You people are just anti-Wal-Mart that want to find any excuse to down them. They completely provide you with a list if you ask. ALL places have their fine print, including Walgreens and every other place like that, so don’t go downing Wal-Mart because your med wasn’t on that list. I find my meds pretty cheap at Wal-Mart. My birth control is $9 a month. It tells you a monthly supply…which means 30 pills. Don’t be stupid and think that you can tell them…well I take that three times a day or whatever, it’s 30 pills. PERIOD. You can’t tell me that the pills elsewhere are cheaper than $8 if you have to take it twice a day, so why not still get it? Stop being stupid and ignorant just because you don’t like them. Oh, and the “Christmas” thing…almost every store uses “holiday” now, so it’s not just Wal-Mart.